The best packing advice I could imagine giving is to pack light. If you are anything like me, this can be extremely challenging. The first time I traveled overseas (Summer in Italy), I nearly screamed “American Tourist” when I got off the plane. Not only did I bring a huge suitcase, a carry on suitcase, and a backpack, but I also brought a fairly large duffle bag. Oh and also my laptop carrying shoulder bag. Sounds like a joke right. Well it was. It made traveling so uncomfortable and difficult. Lets just say I learned this “packing light” lesson the hard way.
SO… Let me share with you how I went from nearly 5 bags, to only bringing my Osprey Packs Farpoint 40L Travel Backpack
nd a decently sized purse.
Clothing: The goal here is to bring comfortable items that can be easily matched with anything. Items that can be layered are also a smart move. This year, I’m bringing the following:
- -5 t-shirts all in neutral colors (mine are grey, black, white, and b&w striped)
- -2 tank tops
- -1 cardigan
- -1 zip-up sweatshirt
- -2 pairs of jeans (one black, one blue)
- -1 pair of dark denim shorts
- -10 pairs of underwear (possible to get by with less)
- -4 pairs of socks (my favorite for traveling are these by smartwool activewear:Smartwool Ultra Light No Show Performance Socks )
- -1 regular bra & 1 sports bra
- -1 swimsuit
- -1 pair of comfortable walking shoes (I’m taking my nike running shoes)
- -1 pair of comfortable sandals
- -1 pair of flip flops to use in the shower
Toiletries: Just like the rest of the pack, aim for simple and light here too. I’ll be taking this toiletry bag (Hanging Travel Toiletry Bag), which is nice and folds pretty flat, has a hook to hang it up, and provides decent space for all your necessities.
- Shampoo & Conditioner (LUSH sells solid shampoo if you’re looking to cut down on the amount of liquids you bring)
- Body Wash or Soap (My favorite is this:Dr. Bronner’s Organic Lavender Liquid Soap, it’s offered in smaller travel sizes, or you can always transport it to a liquid tube like this one:
- —GoToob 3 Ounce (3 pack) Travel Bottle (3 oz)-works great for travel because these are leak proof! Cheaper option is getting the generic kind from target (or any dept. store), just be sure they are 3 oz and you tape them shut to avoid any leakage.
- Face Wash (& any other products if you have a routine like I do; toner, moisturizers, spot treatments, etc)
- Chapstick w/SPF
- Hair product; I’d recommend picking one of your favorites and limiting it to only one! I’m bringing my favorite curl cream:TIGI Curlesque Defining Serum
- Perfume/Cologne/Body spray- either travel or a sample size (ulta will usually give them out if you ask!). This is one of those items that can potentially be left behind, but I personally love to always have one with me! I’ll be bringing the travel size of my favorite perfume, Philosophy Pure Grace Spray Fragrance, 2 Ounce. It smells fresh and clean, perfect pick me up for being right off the plane!
- Hand Sanitizer
- Wipes (some for body and some disinfecting, I’ll also be bringing some specifically for face, these Simple ones are great:Simple Sensitive Skin Cleansing Wipes )
- Lavender Spray; I love bringing a small travel bottle of this. I make my own using Lavender Essential Oil. Just fill a 2 oz travel spray bottle with water about 3/4th’s full, add 10-15 drops of the essential oil, and a splash of rubbing alcohol to neutralize. Helps with sleep, stress, headaches, etc.
- First aid kit: I create my own small first aid kit using a 6×4 makeup bag. Advil, Allergy Meds, Cold/Flu meds, Melatonin or Sleep Aid, Stomach Relief, Dramamine for nausea/seasickness, Neosporin, Band-aids, and any necessary prescriptions or vitamins.
- Tide To Go Instant Stain Remover Pen
- Steripod Clip-on Toothbrush Cover
- Razor/Shaving Cream
- Small brush or comb, hair ties/pins
- Ipad, Tablet, or Fire Tablet (I like to have the iPad to blog and keep copies of important documents on hand; city maps, important addresses, language guides, etc)
- Chargers and travel adapters for all of the above (This adapter isn’t the sleekest or cheapest, but I like it! Has multiple ports to charge all of your electronics; BESTEK 200W International Travel Voltage Converter)
- Small Flashlight; This one is really mini, but provides great light! Perfect to carry along with you and utilize late at night when returning to your place. Mini Keychain LED Flashlight
- Hammock Bliss Sleep Sack– A personal must-have for me. Helps ease the thought of any potential bed bugs or germs. They also feel amazing! Sleeping in pure silk!
- Cocoon Ultralight AirCore Travel Pillow After going back and forth between this and a compressible memory foam travel pillow, I am so glad I chose this one. It’s super comfortable, soft, adjustable, and deflates so it can be rolled up into the size of a soda can.
- Travelon Laundry Soap Sheets, 50-Count Perfect for sink-washing! Just be careful not to take any out with wet hands, otherwise the whole pack will most likely be ruined.
- 5″ Flat Suction Sink Stopper For use in hostels or other stays where you may need to sink wash.
- Adjustable Bungee Clothesline For drying clothes when there is not ample space available
- Hydrapak Stash Water Bottle or Collapsible Silicone Water Bottle A collapsible water bottle is a must!!
- —Packing cubes are amazing. They help to organize and easily access everything in your backpack. I highly recommend! This trip I’m taking one of the medium sized, and two of the slim sized. They fit all my clothes, including socks & underwear. Packing Cube Set – Medium & Packing Cube Set – Slim
- Fast Drying Microfiber Towel Set Very compact and fast drying!
Thank you out voyaging.com
Thank you! 🙂
You’re the one with the brains here. I’m waincthg for your posts.
I was drawn by the hosteny of what you write
That’s a great list of packing items for this kind of trip! There’s a few things I don’t have that I will get now. You’re the best!
Have the best time ever!
nba 2k17 mt coins says
Deference to post author, some excellent selective information.
marvel contest of champions hack apk says
Thank you for giving the info. It’ll help me lot.
marvel contest of champions hack download says
Nice post. I learn something more demanding on different blogs everyday.
It’ll constantly be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a
little something from their shop. I’d favor to use some with the
content on my site whether you do’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a
link on your own web site. Thanks for sharing.
clash royale hack free says
You should get involved in a contest for one of the
best blogs on the internet. I will recommend this website!
This really replied my problem, thank you!
lords mobile hack download says
It’s hard to find knowledgeable folks on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re
talking about! Thanks
Thanks guys, I just about lost it lokiong for this.
activation key the sims 4 cats and dogs says
Good, this is what I was looking for in google
why not try here says
I just want to tell you that I am new to blogging and site-building and honestly savored you’re web-site. Almost certainly I’m want to bookmark your blog . You really have tremendous stories. Kudos for revealing your blog site.
why not find out more says
I simply want to tell you that I’m beginner to blogs and definitely savored this web-site. Most likely I’m want to bookmark your site . You really come with very good article content. Cheers for sharing your website.
loan no credit check apply online says
NEVER stop moving. Succeed!
thank you! <3